Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 11:32:20 -0700
On Sunday 29 May 2005 11:21 am, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 12:32 pm, James Knott wrote:
> > > Really? 'Didn't know? ALL routers, no matter what make will hand out
> > > DNS addresses.....so will most HUBS. MANY HUBS will even do NAT.
> >
> > ???
> >
> > Lessee know, according to my calendar, April 1 was a few weeks back.
> >
> > Perhaps you're wrong?
> >
> > I've never heard of a hub that's capable of anything more that
> > regenerating and distributing packets.  Also, a router does nothing more
> > than forward layer 3 packets.  Those Linksys and other boxes, include
> > several functions, which *MIGHT* include DNS.
>
> Any router that is responsible for making the connection to an ADSL or
> cable (or wireless) ISP would have to take on the function of a DNS
> forwarder. Who else is going to get the DNS IP addresses? And who would
> the router hand them off to?

I don't think that's true. Perhaps many consumer-level boxes on the
market do have the DNS proxy feature, but I don't think they all do
and it certainly isn't mandatory. If the box supports DHCP, it can
just as easily hand out the DNS Server addresses and leave the
proxying out of the picture. For that matter, a plain no-frills router
could require the user to manually configure the PC side with
the DNS server addresses.

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

< Previous Next >