Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 11:46:28 -0700
On Sunday 29 May 2005 11:38 am, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 10:55 -0700, Scott Leighton wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 May 2005 9:09 am, Scott Leighton wrote:
> >

> > Some googling reveals that many, but not all, of the
> > Linksys boxes can operate as a DNS proxy. Apparently
> > my BEFSR41 has that capability, which explains why
> > it magically seems to work when putting the router
> > address in /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > Note that some of those same google sources recommended
> > not doing so though. There were reports that the proxy
> > feature was buggy and could cause long delays in
> > DNS lookups.
> >
> > Scott
>
> Which is why you would be better off setting up your own DNS server even
> if it is only used as a forwarder.

Agreed. I'm running a local caching only server myself. I only played around
with this due to the OP's questions, and in the process learned quite
a bit too <g>! I had no idea that the Linksys did DNS proxy, so his
posted results were a curiosity to me.

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

< Previous Next >