Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 14:51:46 -0400
Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 12:32 pm, James Knott wrote:
>>Fred A. Miller wrote:
>>>Really? 'Didn't know? ALL routers, no matter what make will hand out DNS
>>>addresses.....so will most HUBS. MANY HUBS will even do NAT.
>>???
>>
>>Lessee know, according to my calendar, April 1 was a few weeks back.
>>
>>Perhaps you're wrong?
>
> Not a chance. ;)
>
>>I've never heard of a hub that's capable of anything more that
>
> Check out BestBuy and other stores sometime.
>
>>regenerating and distributing packets. Also, a router does nothing more
>>than forward layer 3 packets. Those Linksys and other boxes, include
>>several functions, which *MIGHT* include DNS.
>
> You don't know much about hardware, I suspect.

Since that I don't rely on Best Buy for info, probably not. However,
given that I've got my Novell CNA, completed CNE course, TCP/IP and
other networking courses at IBM, provided 3rd level support at IBM,
installed a few networks along the way and much, much more, I may know a
thing or two. You might want to have a chat with Rich Seifert (one of
the creators of ethernet) in the comp.dcom.lans.ethernet newsgroup,
about hubs and stuff.

< Previous Next >