Re: SuSE 9.0 Mozilla 1.4 GMail POP download
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 20:17:53 +0100
On 5/29/05, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry I've been out of the SLE loop for a while. On a recent need for
> more POP email space above the 10-20Mb from my ISP, I decided to
> auto-forward all mail coming to the ISP account to my GMail account.
>
> I enabled POP on the GMail account and then figured I could download the
> mail in my GMail store to my local client machine via my dialup ISP. I
> have unfortunately not been able to receive a single mail from the GMail
> store.
>
> On Mozilla Mail I have created a secondary account and entered the POP
> server settings as per the GMail suggestions for setting up other email
> clients. I did not enter the GMail SMTP server details as I already have
> my ISP's SMTP server added and figured it shouldn't need it.
>
> On the GMail account though I am unsure about the 'Server settings'
> check boxes. I have them all checked except for 'Check mail at startup'
> and 'Empty trash on exit'. I also have 'Leave messages on server'
> unchecked.
>
> What happens when I dialup and connect to my ISP and request GMail POP
> download is that it contacts the server, requests my password, and then
> tells me how many messages are waiting but then does not download any of
> them. If I wait a few minutes and then request my GMail again, an error
> message is returned saying that the folder is being processed and that I
> should try later.
>
> I also tried setting up a GMail filter to auto-forward the email but the
> filters don't work on mail already received. :(
>
> How or where can I go to get the 600 emails that are waiting there to
> download? I know it is not seemingly a direct SuSE problem, but I am
> using 'SuSE' to view the email etc.
>
> Appreciate any help
> --

i'd say that your mail client is indeed trying to download everything.
I tned to get this on my Window$ tin when using Pegasus mail. If I
have a particularly large file it does take for ever. In fact, it
doesn't have to be 'that' large to cause POP indigestion :-) I had a
sudden lock up witha file of only 60k the other day. Can you check it
using GMail through the web interface? Or have I misread your
original post...

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer