RE: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 22:45:01 -0800
On Sunday 29 May 2005 @ 5:14 AM, Scott Leighton wrote:
>On Sunday 29 May 2005 5:14 am, Greg Wallace wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 28, 2005 @ 7:23 AM, Scott Leighton wrote:
>> >
>> > No, that's not the way I understand it. It's passing the address of
the
>> >nameservers to your Linux box via DHCP, your Linux box then uses
>> >those addresses for /etc/resolv.conf, so the end result is that your
>> >Linux box gets its list of DNS servers from the Linksys, but after
>> >that, it is simply resolving addresses using the servers that
>> >were on the list, the Linksys isn't directly involved. The Linksys
>> >isn't running a nameserver, it is only passing out the addresses
>> >of nameservers.
>> >
>> > Scott
>>
>> That's the way it used to work (I'd see those ISP name server addresses
in
>> my Linux box). Once I overrode that to my Router IP address, that's the
>> only address that showed up in Linux.
>>

> Well, I'd love to know what model Linksys router you are using. I
>was unaware that any of them run a DNS server, but if you can
>simply point /etc/resolv.conf to your router and get DNS services,
>then the router must be running one.

> Scott

My resolv.conf file contains -->

nameserver 192.168.1.1
search local

I'm using an RV042 Dual WAN router, but I had the same capability on my
previous single WAN Router, which I fried. I don't remember what the model
number on it was, but looking at the Linksys Web Site, it looks like it was
a BEFSR41.

Greg Wallace