Re: [SLE] Copy spool mail files?
  • From: Jim Flanagan <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 06:49:24 -0500
On Monday May 30 2005 12:06 am, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Monday 30 May 2005 06:46, Jim Flanagan wrote:
> > Anders, does Cyrus imap store sent messages in imap or in local folders?
>
> Sent messages meaning messages you send? Cyrus doesn't know about that,
> IMAP is only for storing messages, not sending them. That is a setting in
> your mail client. You can set kmail to store sent messages on the imap
> server in Identities->Modify->Advanced. I'm sure other clients have a way
> to do it as well
>
> > Also, can users make or add folders in addition to the Inbox?
>
> Yes, of course. If you read and followed the instructions on setting up
> users in cyrus, each user only has permissions on the INBOX. You can then
> create other folders as subfolders to the inbox. For example in kmail you
> would right-click on the inbox and select "new sub-folder"
>
> By default users don't have permission to create folders outside their
> inbox, and it's probably a good idea to keep it that way. If you want to
> share things between users, the best plan is probably to set up a new top
> level folder for that purpose, and give users permissions on it.

OK. Pretty intersting, storing all mail in a separate folder, no local folders
at all. I had not really looked at Cyrus before as most of the "reviews" say
it is more suited for large email systems. But, Suse does make it pretty easy
to set up. Not bad at all. And, you administer all mailboxes in one place,
pretty convenient that way. I'm not used to having other folders (drafts,
trash, etc) as sub-folders of Inbox, but I guess it really dosen't matter, as
long as the are there. Easy enough to add any and all you wish. I still have
to work on setting up imaps, and the sieve filters, and spamassassin.

Now for the hard question. How do I import all my old existing email into the
cyrus inbox? Is there any easy way to do this? I don't think "cat" will work
on this, unless I'm mistaken. One suggestion I read talked about emailing all
old mail to the new server/cyrus inbox, kind of a clumsy way to do that. And,
I'll loose date references that way.

Also, how is performance with Squirrelmail? As I said before, using my old
setup with uw-imap and squirrelmail, sorting/threading 4,000 or more messages
gets pretty slow, and that is not many messages at all compared to what this
list puts out over a year or more. (In the past I kept mail
in /var/spool/mail until I couldn't stand the slowdown, then pulled them into
kmail/local folders and "started over", losing access to those emails when
away from my local machine. Not the idea of imap).

Anyway, I sure appreciate the help in setting this up.

--
Jim Flanagan
linuxjim at jjfiii dot com

< Previous Next >