Re: [SLE] Long DNS lookup times with 9.2
  • From: David Robertson <derobertson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:44:37 +0300
Sunny wrote:
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:29:15 -0500, Elijah Savage
<esavage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

I am using dhcp and when I use firefox to go to websites it takes for
ever to do dns lookups. The browser just sort of sits then finally
resolves the names. When I do a nslookup or a dig from the cli
everything comes resolves very quickly. I have set it to static ip
address and also static dns and the browser still takes for ever to
resolv for some reason. I had a intel desktop 1000MT nic card I swapped
that for a 3com nic and still the same issues. So I then installed a dns
server locally on the box and change the resolv.conf to point to
127.0.0.1 there was no difference.

Any ideas?

Hi,
it has something to do with the UPv6 name resolving. There is an
article in SuSE knowledge base how to disable IPv6, if you do not use
it. It helped me and now I do not have these delays.

Cheers
Sunny

I think ipv6 is disabled by default in 9.2, isn't it? I know I had this problem with 9.1 (and had to edit /etc/modprobe.conf) but not in 9.2
Is /etc/resolv.conf being changed back dynamically?

David

--
Registered Linux User No 207521
The Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/

"The above is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect that of the little voices in my head."