Re: [SLE] APC UPS
  • From: Charly Baker <cmb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:01:46 -0500
On Tuesday March 1 2005 10:49 am, Jim Flanagan wrote:
> Thanks for the good info here regarding usb and the kernel. I definitely
> cant run usb on this box with the existing kernel. I do have a 9.1 box
> running, and may try to setup a master/slave deal, but the shutdown of my
> 8.2 server will then rely on the 9.1 box, but both are reliable.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Jim
I have an APC back ups 1000, and had a similar problem. In my case APCUPSD
didn't yet have USB support, but when I bought the UPS it was with the
understanding that it had a serial interface. It turned out that APC offered
a free cable on request that plugged into the same RJ45 jack as the USB
cable, but the other end went to a serial port. You could probably get a
cable from APC for your UPS to enable serial support, but be forewarned. By
the time I actually got the cable APCUPSD had USB support so I don't think I
ever tried it.

Charly Baker