Re: [SLE] Long DNS lookup times with 9.2
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:05:26 -0500
On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 12:07, Carl E. Hartung wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 March 2005 11:21, Ken Schneider wrote:
> <another huge whack (sigh)>
>
> > Why does it -have to be set to DHCP? Fact is it does not so don't lead
> > people down the wrong path. If they have a static address it will
> > -not- make a difference.
>
> With all due respect Ken, no one said it "had to be" set to DHCP. Why
> would you inject a false premise and build a misguided critique on top
> of it? Frankly, I'm not comprehending the utility of this post at all.

Your earlier suggestion:

-> click 'Change' under 'Already configured devices'

-> your nic should already be highlighted; click 'Edit'

-> verify the Automatic address setup (via DHCP) checkbox is selected

I didn't intend to offend anyone but instructions provided by you
clearly state to use DHCP. I merely intended to set the record straight
that DHCP was -not- a requirement. Anyone new would be inclined to
follow these to the letter and could think that it had to set this way.

--
Ken Schneider

* Only reply to the list please*