Re: [SLE] Cant get through D-link wireless router
  • From: "L. Mark Stone" <lmstone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:00:15 -0500
On Tuesday, March 1, 2005 09:51 pm, Richard wrote:
> I'm running Su'SE 9.2 with a D-Link dwg-650 pcmcia wireless. It
> configures fine with Yast. When I get it going it goes out to a
> D-Link WiFi router Model DI-624 and gets an IP faithfully. I can
> ping the router and run the router utility from my laptop, yet I
> cannot get anything through the router until I power it down and
> repower it. Then all works fine.
>
> By cannot get anything through, I mean I cannot ping the internet
> connection or anything on the internet. The error message says no
> connection. If I run a cable to the router, I can get an ip and go
> onto the net without fail.
>
> Running windows I can get the ip and go onto the net without having
> to unplug the router.
>
> It appears the wireless router firewall is set up to allow all on the
> lan to go to the net. Any ideas?

The DI-624 series are not the most reliable unless you change a few
things, in our experience.

What we have found necessary is to:

1. Upgrade to the latest firmware, but be careful because the firmware
is version-specific and there are three versions (A, B, and C).

2. Turn off Turbo mode and WPA.

Even so, they still seem to require power-off rebooting every few weeks
and they don't like getting hot.

We have one A model we maintain however that we run at 802.11b with WEP
and no DHCP, and that works flawlessly; stays up for months and months
and services three simultaneous wireless connections with no packet
errors, even though all the wireless connections (at least at the
client end) report less than 50% signal strength.

YMMV!

Mark

A Message From... L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC

"We manage your network so you can manage your business."

477 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Tel: (207) 772-5678
Web: http://www.rnome.com