Re: [SLE] Long DNS lookup times with 9.2
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 07:45:21 -0500
On Wednesday 02 March 2005 00:36, B. Stia wrote:
<snip>
> And how about someone who is NOT running a network and has the same
> very slow loading problem with Firefox? Does ipv6 enter into also ?

Hi Bob,

The short answer is "I believe so." As you surmised, there were two
issues being addressed by my recommended course of action to the OP
(note: I did not call it a recommended course of action for every
newbie who happens to stumble upon this thread):

- part 'a' would have restored his system to SuSE's default (and his
original) dhcp client configuration. I say "would have" because, in
his reply, he wrote that he'd already accomplished that by the time he
got my post.

- part 'b' is the Firefox IPv6 'tweak', which wasn't invented or
discovered by me, but purloined off the net.

The tweak is maybe a one or two minute experiment, at most. Right
click, modify, close browser and test drive. It worked for me, it has
worked for others so I'm assuming it's worth checking out whether
you're running a network or not. If it causes you problems or there is
no discernable change, it is easy enough to set back.

regards,

- Carl

Dover Foxcroft, Maine, USA Public Keys 68396713 & F8207216