Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Chris Carlen <crcarle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:45:12 -0800
Kevanf1 wrote:
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:29:24 -0800, Chris Carlen <crcarle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I beg to differ. Linux will let you do anything you want, secure or
insecure. Right way or wrong way. It's your choice. That's the point.
That's also the reason that folks with little technical understanding
of computer and OS architecture are potentially able to get into even
more trouble with Linux. Or just not be able to use it at all.

Well I have a good few years of university level technical support
under my belt...but....it was using Micro$oft software.
Change your global umask to 000 and see how secure your system is. Will
Linux stop you?

Actually I think I meant 777. The umask is NANDed with octal 777 in order to determine the default permissions used to create files.

Look here in the shell help:

> help umask

So the typical umask=022 will cause your default permissions to be:

rwxrwxrwx
NAND with: ----w--w-
You get: rwxr-xr-x

but files are not by default created with exec perms, so this is actually what you get for dirs. Files are rw-r--r--

No idea. What does it do? Honestly, I don't know. Should I? Is
there a site where I can learn more about security on Linux? I would
be very interested to know about it as I feel it in everybodies
interests for all of us to have a secure system. This then cuts down
on junk traffic (virii etc) which then leaves more bandwidth for
everybody.

I think there are more important reasons than saving bandwidth to have secure systems.

How many "ordinary" people would have any idea whether their box
connected directly to the internet is properly firewalled or not?

Again, I don't. On my XP tin I know. Or I believe I do, can I really
trust the online tests? Again, genuine question I am not trying to be
funny or anything.

The online tests are useful, but you can't be sure they are correct. Likely they are correct.

Good day!

--
Christopher R. Carlen