Re: [SLE] raid question
  • From: Louis Richards <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:10:50 -0500
On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 06:06, Richard Bos wrote:
> I'm looking into RAID, and as such I started to read the suse manual and the
> raid howto on the web. I still have some questions that someone on this list
> can answer.
>
> 1) Is it possible to add a soft raid after installation? The system I want to
> extend with raid (raid 1) is already up and running on single disk system (it
> has 2 disks).

I have done this many times and have posted some instructions to this
list. I'm not at home right now, but basically:

Install your new disk and reboot. Use fdisk to partition the new disk
just like the old disk

I create "broken" raid device(s) from hdb with an /etc/raidtab like
this:

raiddev /dev/md0
raid-level 1
nr-raid-disks 2
nr-spare-disks 0
persistent-superblock 1
device /dev/hda1
failed-disk 0
device /dev/hdb1
raid-disk 1

Add more sections to the file for each partition you want to mirror.

Then mkraid /dev/md0 (and any others) and format them. Mount the new device(s) somewhere
and copy to them using "cp -a".

Don't copy /proc or the mount point for the new raid device. Just
create the directories.

Modify fstab *on the new raid device*. Create an entry in grub on
*both* devices to boot it.

If everything boots OK use raidhotadd to to make hda2 part of the
raid system (this is the point of no return).

Then use grub:

grub

Grub>device (hd0) /dev/hda
Grub>root (hd0,0) and then:
Grub>setup (hd0)

Grub>device (hd0) /dev/hdb
Grub>root (hd0,0) and then:
Grub>setup (hd0)

quit

This has worked for me on several machines. I hope it helps you out.

Louis Richards

< Previous Next >