Re: [SLE] X hangs...
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:46:40 +0100
On Wednesday 02 March 2005 23:12, Martin Cleaver wrote:
> Okay I'm a non-nerdie newbie...
>
> I just tried to take a look at my Suse 9.2 file server, both locally and
> by VNC. It serves files and printer just fine to my Windows boxes... but
> all I get to see is a hung screensaver when I try to wake it up...
> I tried Ctrl-Alt F1 etc, but it doesn't budge... But the files and
> printer still get served, so I feel inclinded to leave it... until I can
> find out what mysterious key combination will get me to a command prompt
> to run init 3... Any suggestions? :)

I hope you have an ssh server running on that file server. If so, you can
login on that box in text-mode with:

ssh root@host_name

or

ssh root@host_ip

You can do that from a virtual terminal, or a konsole or an xterm window.

If you can't use a Linux box, use putty instead. That's an ssh client that
runs on windows (google for putty+windows).

Oh, and have a look at /var/log/messages, /var/log/warn
and /var/log/Xorg.*.log to see what went wrong. ;)

Cheers,

Leen