Re: [SLE] newbie backup/reinstall/dual boot advice
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:16:41 -0500
On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 22:54, Daniel Sheppeard wrote:
> Please enlighten a fragile newbie.
>
> Here's what I have:
> Suse 9.1 Personal, 2 hard drives, one 30GB (currently the primary) and
> one 6GB (secondary with pretty much nothing on it).
>
> Here what I want to to:
> Swap out the 6GB with a newly acquired 120GB drive.
> Install Windows XP ( I swear its only so that my wife can play games!)
> Without losing current data or having to reinstall all my software.
>
> Here's my current plan:
> Perform system backup using YaST's System Backup, burn this to DVD. (done)
> Swap out the 6GB with the 120GB.
> Install Windows XP :P
> Reinstall Suse Linux with dual-boot enabled.
> Use YaST's 'Restore system' to get Linux back to where it was?

1. Remove the 6GB drive from your linux configuration after backing up
any data. You can do this using YaST.

2. Swap out the 6GB with the 120GB drive. Temporarily remove the 30GB
drive containing linux and install XP on the 130GB drive. This preserves
you linux install.

3. Put the 30GB drive back into the system in the same place as before,
if it was connected as the primary master put it back the same way, if
it was the secondary master put it there.

4. Boot back into linux, should not be any problems if you restored it
in the same ide spot.

5. Add XP into your boot loader, most likely grub. There are good docs
for doing this, perhaps someone else on the list can help further with
this part.

--
Ken Schneider

* Only reply to the list please*