Re: [SLE] An apology to the list
  • From: Jeffrey Laramie <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:46:42 -0500
On Thursday 03 March 2005 08:35, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 08:01, Jeffrey Laramie wrote:
> > I haven't been on the list 5 years but I've been here awhile. I've heard
> > complaints about the current setup being annoying but I haven't seen any
> > substantial discussion as to *why* this list handles "Reply To" this way.
> > Maybe I missed it.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Well, unless you have been away from the list the last three days it has
> been discussed this week with links to pages showing why not.

I was of course referring to discussions prior to this one. I've seen the link
and the quotes that Patrick posted, but I haven't heard anyone defend the
contention that it is bad to munge headers. It's claimed that munging makes
it more difficult for subscribers. How? Using what mailers? Is munging
prohibited by RFC? Not that I know of. I've posted a detailed rebuttal to the
points made in the link and nobody has disputed my points. What I'm seeing so
far is a list administrator who has made a decision based on a principle that
"munging" is bad with little or no justification for that opinion. Let's hear
a defense of this policy that doesn't include grade school arguments like
"munging is bad" and "because that's the way we do it here".

Jeff