Re: [SLE] newbie backup/reinstall/dual boot advice
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:03:18 -0600
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:54:20 -0600, Daniel Sheppeard
<daniel.sheppeard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please enlighten a fragile newbie.
>
> Here's what I have:
> Suse 9.1 Personal, 2 hard drives, one 30GB (currently the primary) and
> one 6GB (secondary with pretty much nothing on it).
>
> Here what I want to to:
> Swap out the 6GB with a newly acquired 120GB drive.
> Install Windows XP ( I swear its only so that my wife can play games!)
> Without losing current data or having to reinstall all my software.
>
> Here's my current plan:
> Perform system backup using YaST's System Backup, burn this to DVD. (done)
> Swap out the 6GB with the 120GB.
> Install Windows XP :P
> Reinstall Suse Linux with dual-boot enabled.
> Use YaST's 'Restore system' to get Linux back to where it was?
>
> Questions:
> Will this do what I described above?
> Is this the right/best way? Or is there a better/easier way?
> Will I have to re-install all my programs, or will this do the trick?
> Am I a complete lunatic for trying this?
>
> Please be gentle. I'm a lowly newbie who desperately wants to learn
> the In's and Out's of Linux but am working with very little time to do
> so at present.
>
> T. Daniel
>
> --

Hi,

what I would do:

1. Add the new drive (lets say it is slave on second IDE channel, i.e. hdd)
2. Using YaST/System/Partitioner create on it 3 partitions - 1x20GB -
enough to hold WinXP installation; 1x xx, format it as FAT32, so you
can use it (if needed) to swap files between XP and SuSE; and the
remaining space you can divide as you wish, for use from SuSE.
3. Mount temporary this 3rd partition in SuSE and copy all from your
old 6GB drive
4. Using YaST/System/Partitioner remove any mounting information you
may have for the 6GB drive. Or you can edit /etc/fstab to remove the
corresponding information.
5. Remove your 30GB and 6GB drives, and connect your new drive as
master on IDE 0
6. Install XP on the first partition.
7. Connect your 30GB drive as master on IDE 0, and move the 120GB one
as whatever you want hdb, hdc, hdd
8. Boot your SuSE.
9. Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the following section:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

10. Save the file and reboot. Now you have to have a a "Windows" entry
in your boot menu.

Cheers
Sunny

--