Re: [SLE] Accessing pureftpd using Firefox
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:09:21 -0800
Darryl,

On Thursday 03 March 2005 05:08, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> Aaron Bridge wrote:
> > Yes it is an .rpm file I am talking about. Under plugins there
> > isn't a reference to .rpm and realplayer. The only plugin for
> > realplayer referes to .ram
>
> The only way realplayer is going to be loaded for a .rpm file is if
> the browser is configured to use realplayer when a .rpm is accessed.
> That requires either a plugin or a helper application configuration.
> There are no other ways.

That's not the whole story.

It can happen when the server does not have a MIME association for the
file it's sending or if its MIME type mapping is erroneous or relies
solely on the file's suffix (in which case it will be wrong for one of
the two utterly different kinds of files that routinely bear the suffix
".rpm"--Redhat Package Manager and Real Player Metafile).

When the server does not include a MIME type, the browser is forced to
decide on a dispensation for the data stream. Browsers typically rely
on file name suffixes alone to do this (though Konqueror may try to use
the contents of the stream to make the determination).

Randall Schulz