Re: [SLE] DVD question [again]
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:21:43 +0100
Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thursday 03 March 2005 16:33, James Knott wrote:
>> > There seems to be a difference between "dual layer" and "double layer."
>> > Reason I suspect this, is because I bought a Verbatim "Double Layer"
>> > 8.5GB DVD and copied the 9.2 Pro DVD onto it. Unforunately my normal
>> > DVD-ROM, and no other DVD-ROM I tried. It does work on a few DVD writers
>> > though.

Yes, there are lots of compatibility problems with self-burned Dual
Layer. The mediatype is one issue.

Btw. use growisofs for burning.

>> Think of "double layer" or "double sided" as two separate disks, that
>> just happen to share the same piece of plastic. A dual layer disk has
>> twice the capacity available, without changing or flipping.
>
> Could there be a difference between the layout of data on the disc between
> "double layer" and "dual layer" ?

No - both is the same.

> I know "double sided" - the disc I used definitely wasn't double sided.
> That's why I'm curious of what the difference between "double layer" and
> "dual layer" might be.
>
> My drive (LG 16x DVD-ROM) can read the original disc fine, but no the copied
> one. No other DVD-ROM I've tried it on would read the copied one.

The drive that burned it should be able to read it also,

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, aj@xxxxxxx, http://www.suse.de/~aj
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N├╝rnberg, Germany