Re: [SLE] VNC
  • From: Jerry Westrick <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:21:40 +0100
On Friday 04 March 2005 20:28, Sunny wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:55:57 -0500, Daniel Thivierge
>
> <Daniel_Thivierge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > His your server in init 5?
> >
> > Cheers.
> >

> > My notes say that is all you need.
> > you want to paste the vnc file from /etc/xinetd.d/vnc file?
> >
> > jerry
>
> Is there a way to make it not to be? I mean, what is the reason a
> headless server to be in runlevel 5. I would like it to run in
> runlevel 3, and to fire X only for a remote VNC session.
>
> Sunny
>
> --
> Get Firefox
> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=10745&t=85

Okay, now we got to the problem?
Your not at Init 5?

I understand your concern about running a useless X-Windows on the server, but
the way to shutdown the X on the console is not to start one when you reach
init 5. But you still need other services that are started at init 5...

To turn off X on the console:
Yast2->system->/etc/sysconfig editor->Desktop->display
manager->DisplayManager_Starts_XSERVER = NO

Then boot into init 5...

Jerry
P.S. If you ever need X-Windows on the console, you login and type xstart (or
was it startx?)