Re: [SLE] VNC
  • From: Jerry Westrick <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:38:16 +0100

On Friday 04 March 2005 23:00, a.bridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The only thing I have done in Yast is enabled VNC which I thougt was remote
> administration. Then I opened VNC on the firewall. If it's not, remote
> administration, I have been on the wrong track. Ultimatly I want to be
> able to administer a server remotly in the office by seeing its desktop
> using either a web browser or another client. If your familiar with Radmin
> for Window, a feature like that. Radmin uses viewer instead of a web
> browser. Either way, I don't care.

Okay, do the following:

1) Yast2->network Services->Network Services (Inetd)
There enable vnc1, vnc2, and vnc3
(For client access diferent screen sizes)

enable vnchttpd1, 2, and 3
(For Browser Access in deferent screen sizes)

2) yast2->system->/etc/sysconfig editor->Desktop->Display Manager->
Displaymanager_Remote_Access = Yes
Displaymanager_Root_Login_Remote = yes (To allows root user to login)
Displaymanager_Starts_XServer = no (To turn off X_Windows on console)
Displaymanager_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN = No
(this is default, the parameter is for something totally different)
KDM_SHUTDOWN = root (Only root can shut machine down!)
Displaymanager_Autologin = (leave blank no one gets logged in automatically!)
Displaymanager_Password_Less_Login = no (ditto)

Exit Yast,

In console (<ctrl><alt><F1>) as root do
$ init 3
$ init 5

Try vnc again...

Note for firewall:

the ports you are using are:
Vnc client
Display 1 (1024x768) -> 5901
Display 2 (1280x1024)-> 5902
Display 3 (1600x1024)-> 5903
Http Downloader
Display 1 (1024x768) -> 5801 (to download java, then 5901 for java client)
Display 2 (1280x1024)-> 5802 (to download java, then 5902 for java client)
Display 3 (1600x1024)-> 5803 (to download java, then 5903 for java client)

Jerry

P.S. In the file /etc/xinetd.d/vnc you add the parameter
-desktop Your_Companyname_Without_Blanks
or
-desktop Your_Servername_Without_Blanks

This will be included in the tittle bar on the client...

P.P.S I usually modify the windows sizes slightly so that the window + frame
on the client fits on my clients screen...