Re: [SLE] KDE freezes frequently on Suse 9.x
  • From: Gabor Istvan <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 23:10:39 +0100 (CET)

Gabor Istvan <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx> írta:

> Dear list members:
>
> My KDE desktop frequently freezes. I can't use
CTRL+ALT+DEL to
> restart or switch to text mode with CTRL+ALT+F(1,2
etc).
I can't even
> login from other computers throug the network.
Currently
I am using
> SuSE Linux Pro with the default updated kernel (2.6.8-
24.
11-default)
> but I had similar/same problem on SuSE 9.1. My
graphics
card is
> NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400 with the NVIDIA driver
SuSE
> installed (openGL enabled).
> I guess this issue can be related to the graphics card/
driver since on
> another machine with SuSE 9.0 and ATI Radeon VE
never had
similar
> problem.
> I don't know where to look for information what can
cause
the freezing
> (which logs, etc).
> If you have idea, please write.
> Thanks,
> IG

Thanks for the answers.
Before I recompile or replace the nvidia driver I would like
to trace what can cause the problem. Could you tell me
please what log files should be looked at? Futhermore I
am still not sure that it is graphics driver problem and not
something else (other hardware incompatibility or KDE
problem).
Thanks,
IG