Re: [SLE] Maximum swap size
  • From: scsijon <scsijon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:26:33 +1100
At 12:07 AM 7/03/2005, James Knott wrote:
One thing I've noticed, is that while there's been lots of talk, over the years, about minimum swap partition size, I don't recall seeing mention of a maximum size. For example, 32 bit CPUs have a maximum addressing range of 4 GB. Since swap is the virtual memory area, does this mean that it's also limited to 4 GB? If so, does that mean that the 64 bit CPUs can have a swap partition(s) of up to 16 exabytes?

tnx jk

From my understanding it's 4GB per partition, but you can have multiple partitions (don't know the limit) as I do for my servers on one site. With each swap partition on their own drive I find my users seem to get better response with their large files than a single partition, though I don't really know why. I discovered it by error back on 7.1 (I think) when i combined two drives into one box and accidentally created a second "live" swap as I forgot to remove it on cleanup of the box's configuration.

scsijon