RE: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 and Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 08:23:38 -0500
On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 05:23, Anders Norrbring wrote:

> > Not more than a couple of weeks back, Phillipp Thomas said this as part of
> > the
> > thread [SLE] Installing SuSE 9.2 onto Adaptec HostRaid:
> >
> > >It's unfortunate that I cannot get hardware raid to work,
> >
> > Complain to Adaptec who don't want to offer an open source driver or at
> > least the specs to enable the community to come up with a driver.
> >
> > Philipp
> >
> > So it seems maybe Adaptec support is limited by their own policies. Seems
> > pity.
>

> Yep.. They offer me to get the 2130SLP or 2230SLP instead. Which of course
> would make me swap motherboard as well since those two doesn't work in
> 32-bit PCI slots. I could fix that, but those controllers cost more than
> twice the cost of the motherboard. Geee..
>
> They don't want to release newer drivers for any *nix, but they still update
> the Windows 2000, XP and 2003 drivers. Like any serious server owner would
> run a Windows server?
>
> Anyway, there must be a solution to this somewhere, it's just the question
> of finding it.

It's called buying from another vendor. Seems to me that MS has bought
off another supplier and forced them to no longer support linux.

<opinion>
It is a sorry state when one company has the power to tell another
company how to run their business without owning any part of that
business. How? By threatening to withhold specs, api's...
</opinion>

--
Ken Schneider

* Only reply to the list please*