RE: [SLE] Problem with YOU
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:33:47 -0900
On Tuesday, March 08, 2005 @ 3:36 AM, Ken Schneider wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 23:34, Greg Wallace wrote:
>> On march 07, 2005 @ 1:34 AM, Darryl Gregorash wrote--
>> Greg Wallace wrote:
>> SuSE (Linux in general? -- no experience with other releases) definitely
>> needs to get caught up on this. I assume this would be an extension of
>>YAST
>> -- another option for the type of backup you want to create under the
>>backup
>> utility. What really had me confused in the beginning was that the YAST
>> backup does create something called autoinstall.txt. The "autoinstall"
>>term
>> made me think this was something similar to the diskette information that
>> comes out of a Windows ASR backup. However, I posted questions about
>>this
>> file on this site trying to figure out what the heck it is and never got
>> response. I even posted mail to the "autoinstall" site. Same thing --
>>no
>> response. Of course, if you don't get complete package backups out of
>>your
>> YAST backup, then, of course, an autoinstall couldn't really work anyway,
>> not in the sense of a full system recovery.
>>
>> Greg W

>Not being familure with ASR is this something included with MS server
>software? There are commercial products available that can do a recovery
>directly from backup tape/cd/dvd etc.. Check out BackupEdge and
>Lonetar. They are not too terribly expensive US$200-300.
>>
>>--
>>Ken Schneider
>>UNIX since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE since 1998
>>
>>* Only reply to the list please*
>>
>> "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
>> the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge

It comes with both Windows Home and Windows Pro. With Windows Home,
you have to install it from the Windows CD. With Pro, it's automatically
installed. It does backups of all sorts of varieties -- roll your own,
everything on you system (the ASR variety I was talking about), deltas since
last full backup, and deltas since last daily backup. The output is a
diskette and a backup file. If your entire hard drive is wiped out, you
start an installation from the CD (just like Linux), and there's a point
along the way where it says something like "Press PF2 if you want to do
Automated System Recovery). It then prompts you to insert that diskette and
from there, it re-formats your disk and boots. The first thing after the
boot, it asks you where the backup file is. It then validates that it syncs
with the diskette you put in early and then recovers your entire system
exactly like it was when you did that back up.
For my Linux machine, I just purchased some software called Storix
Linux Linux/86 Desktop Edition for SuSE Linux (there's a different edition
for each Linux release -- Red Hat and many more). The web site said it went
beyond a "bare metal" restore in that you could do things like change file
systems during a recovery. It cost $79.00. I was also looking at Acronis
True Image for app $50 dollars, which seems to be a bare metal recovery. I
have heard positive things about it before on this site, so I may even buy
it and do dual backups. Hopefully, one or both of these can bring my system
back just like I left it. Not sure how these compare to BackupEdge or
Lonetar, but I'm making note of those in case neither of these do the trick.

Thanks,
Greg W