Problem with NFS in Suse 9.2
  • From: Paco Pastor <paco@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:03:11 +0100
Hi all

We have build an internal LAN with three PC running Suse 9.2. The main node has two network cards (one connecting to the Internet and the other one to the internal LAN while the other two nodes only have one network card connecting to the internal net) Communication between the three nodes works fine with SSH but fails when we try to export a directory in /usr /local.

We had some problems exporting form the central server (thalassa1). YAST hanged so we had to reboot the system and found a warning about ipfwadm.ko but finally it seems to be exporting the desired directory, or at least it appears as it was doing it in YAST. But when we try to import from the client side in node2 (thalassa2) YAST says it can't mount NFS entries in /etc/fstab.

We find this message in /var/log/messages

Mar 9 09:45:32 thalassa1 rpc.mountd: export request from 192.168.1.2
Mar 9 09:45:59 thalassa1 rpc.mountd: mount request from unknown host 192.168.1.2 for /usr/local/mpich-1.2.6 (/usr/local/mpich-1.2.6)

As if node2 (thalassa2 with IP 192.168.1.2) it was unknown to thalassa. But in /etc/hosts on central server (thalassa1) thalassa2 is properly defined

192.168.1.1 thalassa1.ceam.es thalassa1
192.168.1.2 thalassa2.ceam.es thalassa2
192.168.1.3 thalassa3.ceam.es thalassa3

Firewall is open in thalassa1 for the network card interface to the internal LAN and deactivated in thalassa2.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Paco

Francisco Pastor
Meteorology department
FundaciĆ³n CEAM