RE: [SLE] Problem with YOU
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:40:38 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2005-03-07 at 19:34 -0900, Greg Wallace wrote:

> utility. What really had me confused in the beginning was that the YAST
> backup does create something called autoinstall.txt. The "autoinstall" term
> made me think this was something similar to the diskette information that
> comes out of a Windows ASR backup. However, I posted questions about this
> file on this site trying to figure out what the heck it is and never got a
> response. I even posted mail to the "autoinstall" site. Same thing -- no
> response. Of course, if you don't get complete package backups out of your
> YAST backup, then, of course, an autoinstall couldn't really work anyway,
> not in the sense of a full system recovery.

The autoinstall.xml (not txt) can be put on a floppy during yast install
and it will be used to recreate an installation equivalent to the
original. It is a feature of autoyast. I don't know what it had in 8.1,
I'm going by 9.1 docus.

Notice that I said "equivalent". Changes will be lost, those are supposed
to be in the backup. But remember that yast backup is not a full backup.
How complete it is depends on your choices.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson