Re: [SLE] Maximum Swap Size
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:46:07 +0100 (CET)

The Sunday 2005-03-06 at 18:17 -0800, John Sowden wrote:

> Actually, I thought this was a great question that only one person came close
> to answering. Is there a defined set of tradeoffs when expanding the swap
> size, in relation to RAM, taking into consideration CPU speed and possibly
> other variables that I am not aware of. If, instead of using the 2X rule for
> sizing a swap partition,

That 2X rule was for windows, it does not apply here.

In Linux, it is very empiric.

> we went to a 4X or 6X size, would the paging
> overhead not justify the expanded swap size, in terms of increasing
> performance?

The performance would depend on what applications are involved. If
swapping occurs too often, processing is slow and you need more RAM
memory. If you only need a huge memory now and then, it may make more
sense to increase swap. It depends on each case.

As I mentioned, I have one computer with a 24X relation...

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson