Re: [SLE] unsubscription
  • From: columbo@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:01:14 -0500
On Wednesday 09 March 2005 11:22, Brad Bourn wrote:
> Thanks
>

> The only thing more annoying than people using their own style (which
> isn't all that bad, if your used to personal choice), is people that
> force others to use their style or be flamed.
>
> That kind of close-minded thinking, I don't need. Happy to live in
> /dev/null for those folks.
>
> However, as it seems these people derive pleasure or at least
> temporarily feel better about themselves by putting someone on the
> other side of the style (posting) fence and throwing rocks at them.
> So when you pull the pin out and throw the rocks back, comments like
> this
>
> > Yes. Twit.
> >
> > One more added to /dev/null that I no longer have to look at.
>
> are like saying I'll take my rock and go home.
>
> YES, PLEASE DO! You can watch the rest of us through your glass
> walls.

Brad,

The only problem is that the convention on this list is not to top post.
It is an implicit (and, yeah, sometimes very explicit) agreement among
the list members so that the flow of the conversation moves easily from
screen to brain. Coupled with proper 'trimming' it makes for a thread
that is much easier to read and maneuver through, especially if the
reader primarily uses the keyboard, as opposed to the mouse, for
navigational purposes (as many on this list do).

For example, if you are attempting to master karate it is a common
tradition/convention to remove your shoes prior to entering the dojo.
Those who do not remove their shoes are simply not given the courtesy
or attention that those who follow the convention receive. Usually
they would receive a request to remove their shoes and if they refused
they would probably be expelled or, at the least, ignored. It's not a
matter of 'personal choice'.

On this list you have many Linux and Suse guru's who are intimately
familiar with the inner beat of the kernel and this distribution. I
would go out on a limb and state that nearly 100% of those experts find
top posting annoying. I will also go out on a limb and state that the
vast majority of those will 'PLONK' a list member who repeatedly
ignores the conventions set up in this list. That would be a detriment
to the list member who requires the assistance. S/he wouldn't receive
any.

So, in my long winded way, what I'm trying to say is that YOU will be
the one looking through the glass at the rest of us when it comes to
receiving free and almost instantaneous help from someone well versed
in the ways of Linux/Suse.

Hope this helps