Re: [SLE] unsubscription
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:39:00 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2005-03-09 at 12:01 -0700, Brad Bourn wrote:

> When I ask a quick, simple question, I don't want to see my post again, just
> the answer (top post please). And, if the answer takes so long I forget what
> I asked, I have the full quote below to reference.

I have the previous post for complete reference, I don't need it repeated
in full (threading is designed just for that). It make waste of resources.

I can accept top-post for business usage, usually by people using MS
programs. But in a list, I strongly dislike it, specially here.

> > On this list you have many Linux and Suse guru's who are intimately
> > familiar with the inner beat of the kernel and this distribution. I
> > would go out on a limb and state that nearly 100% of those experts find
> > top posting annoying. I will also go out on a limb and state that the
> > vast majority of those will 'PLONK' a list member who repeatedly
> > ignores the conventions set up in this list. That would be a detriment
> > to the list member who requires the assistance. S/he wouldn't receive
> > any.
> >

> where are these conventions setup?

rfc1855, Netiquette Guidelines.

> I don't see my top-posted simple answers
> being rejected from the list. Only people like Patrick Shanahan seem to
> reply to a helpful post with, "thanks for the answer, but you used the wrong
> style". Hell, if I need help, I don't care what style someone wants to help
> me, I'll take it.

No, you don't see them. True, because many people dislike top-posting (I
do) and will simply ignore those emails. They (we) might answer, and then
we get cross at the top post response and forget the thread sooner.

The thing is that Patrick speaks his mind. The rest, simply says nothing,
and of those some act... ignoring those posters.

> > Hope this helps
>
> how? bottom-posters have valid reasons for their style. top-posters can also
> have reasons. because I have taken the time to listen to your reasoning for
> bottom-posting, are you going to listen to mine?

Yes, I listen. But I can not accept it... it increases network and disk
usage across many computers and servers, and increases the time I need to
get the information I need to answer.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson