Re: [SLE] unsubscription
  • From: columbo@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:43:19 -0500
On Wednesday 09 March 2005 17:10, Brad Bourn wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2005 02:10 pm, columbo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I challenge you on this statement. I quickly googled the
> > subject and found an astonishing imbalance of top to bottom posting
> > support. You're invited to send me your research results offlist.
>
> This is what I meant. If you search for reasonable arguments for
> either opinion you will find the same results either way.
> hmm,
>
> like you don't find more reasons for top than bottom. all reasons
> I've found or experienced can be equally argued both ways.
>
> even if your implying top to mean both top and full quoting (which is
> maybe two different things)
>
> e.g.
> space
> top = can save because you can eliminate previous messages, no need
> to keep past with current copy at hand
> bottom = (trimming) less in each message with more messages
>

> readability
> top = all one direction starting from top
> bottom = all one direction starting from bottom

And that is the crux of the matter. Irrespective of the styles that you
point out above, the convention on THIS list is and always has been to
quote, trim and reply. That is the method that most everyone who has
spent time on this list are accustomed. And it is not a bad or
overbearing convention.

You're not breathing a welcome breathe of fresh air into the
list.....actually, it's stale and rancid based upon the discussions
that have occurred in the past.

> I take responsibility, again, search the archives. Every time I've
> argued my points (because someone went out of their way to "tisk
> tisk" me) to the bottom poster cops, I do it bottom posted quoted.

The issue isn't about you. It's about top-posting in this list and
members pointing out the convention to which the regular posters have
become accustomed. Rather than taking it as a personal affront, most
people simply acknowledge it and politely abide by the list convention.

> > There are no customers on this list! Not in the sense that you're
>
> There ARE customers on this list in the sense that I'm implying. I
> am one of them.

Eh? And to whom on this list are you a customer?

> > implying. This list consists of a large group of people who are
> > pooling their knowledge and expertise for the growth and betterment
> > of the general Linux/Suse community of users. This kind of
> > advocacy
>
> I thought you said (from above)
> <quote>
>
> > Asking a question and, maybe, getting a helpful response. It's
> > mainly about exchanging information about systems and methods of
> > operation. It's not a dedicated 'newbie' list and it isn't about
> > advocacy concerning any subject matter including top posting.
>
> </quote>
>
> That it wasn't about growth(customers) or advocacy ("betterment of
> the general Linux/Suse community of users).

I won't accuse you of twisting the meaning of what I was typing but
growth does not imply customer growth. Rather a personal growth
relative to understanding and using Linux/Suse and the satisfaction and
productivity derived from that growth. And the betterment of the
general community of users is a foregone conclusion due to the fact
that this list is not for debating the pros and cons of this distro to
that disto. It is dedicated to Linux/Suse alone. It is focused on
that subject matter and the community profits from its activity.

> > I post and respond this way because it is painfully obvious to me
> > (archives) that this is the preferred method within this particular
> > list. And I am a respecter of people, whether I agree with their
> > particular position or not.
>
> Again, I agree and this is my point. Why go through the effort to
> "tisk tisk" me.

::mental note - don't 'tisk tisk' Brad, otherwise he arches his back and
spits::

> I choose to be respectful.

How do YOU define respectful?