Re: [SLE] Copying data and permisions
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:59:40 -0500
On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 15:44, Dylan wrote:
> On Thursday 10 Mar 2005 20:36 pm, Scorpy wrote:
> > Is there a way to copy files form one server to another and to leave
> > permisions and owners in place.
> > I have the same users/groups on other server.
>
> Check out the options for the cp command in man cp - especially cp -a
> <file>

Don't know that I would trust the cp command. One slip and you'll have a
lot of problems. The better solution would be yo use either tar or
rsync. tar will keep perms without any special command line switches
(defaults are good enought). rsync works really (works with ssh for a
secure transfer) good but you have to make sure to use the proper
switches. scp will do a secure copy if you are going across the internet
but again make sure you use the right switches.

--
Ken Schneider

* Only reply to the list please*