Re: [SLE] Listiquette.
  • From: Colin Carter <colincarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:17:40 +1100
On Friday 11 March 2005 02:59, William Gallafent wrote:
> [Brad's post didn't attribute this quote of Danny's, so I
> added the attribution myself.]
>
> Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Regardless, breaking conventions in order to accommodate
> > > poorly-designed mail archives is just bad practice. There
> > > exist several quality mail archive systems that display a
> > > full thread above or below the message being read. I find
> > > that type of system combined with bottom-posted, trimmed
> > > replies to be more useful, as sometimes more than one
> > > person contributes to a thread, and therefore the whole
> > > thread will not be included in a single message even with
> > > bandwidth-wasting full quotes and/or top-posting.
>
> On Thursday 10 March 2005 15:46, Brad Bourn wrote:
> > So you prefer your style because of the system you use.
>
> I think that Danny's comment was about mail archives,
> e.g. those viewable using a web browser, which anybody can
> use, rather than, as I think you imply, his (wise) choice of
> mail client (same as yours!). That's irrelevant though ...
>
> > So do I.
>
> The only important system is that of the conventions of the
> list (which have evolved, incidentally, to match the
> preferences and systems of its users, since time immemorial)
>
> I have a right hand drive car.
>
> I prefer to drive it on the left hand side of the road.
>
> What are the results if I decide to drive it on the left
> hand side of the road when in a territory which has another
> convention?

Now Bill, you are being silly.
An Newfoundlander (attractive young lady at a party) told me that
they were going to protest about the removal of the trade barrier between
the USA and Canada by allowing the cars to drive on the left of the road
for one year; and if that went well they would also allow the trucks to drive
on the left.

> --
> Bill

< Previous Next >