Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 Pro HANGS
  • From: Michael James <Michael.James@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:37:44 +1100
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:21 am, MindBender wrote:
> Thanks for your help ...
> I found the problem it was faulty RAM..
> need to by new RAM and reinstall
> I just hate that I will have to reconfigure things
> again .... my Desktop was just Getting to my liking

As Kevin Donnelly says, it's probably not necessary to reinstall.
But I WOULD run an fsck.reiserfs over the disk partitions.
You will need to know
what partitions the disk has (fdisk -l /dev/hda)
and what they are formatted as (/etc/fstab)
If you're happy on the command line
just boot a rescue system off any Suse CD1 and type:

fsck.<filesystem type> /dev/<partition name>
eg: fsck.reiserfs /dev/hda1

or fsck.ext2 /dev/hda1 (if you have a separate boot partition)
fsck.reiserfs /dev/hda3 ( for /)

If this spots any problems you will need to run it with "--fix-fixable".

If you want it automated and GUI
the SuSE9.2 installer provides an excellent repair tool.

Boot off the CD or DVD, and choose "Install" from the boot menu.
Once it's up you choose your keyboard layout.
In the next screen it will start
to put up the screen to configure an install.
But it will pop up a window to say it's found an installed system
and offer the option of repairing it.
Fully automatic is slow, in custom or expert
you can choose the boxes you need.

As background I had some very subtly faulty RAM once.
Running memtest, it took all weekend to catch a single glitch.
In normal use it would crash the OS once or twice a week.
Trouble was each crash would leave me with another file
that was death to any process that touched it.
You can imagine how useable my desktop was
with processes randomly hanging as they fell in the holes...

As a happily booted system says, "Have a lot of fun".
michaelj

--
Michael James michael.james@xxxxxxxx
System Administrator voice: 02 6246 5040