Linux on new Dell notebook computer
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:52:20 -0500
I've just ordered a Dell notebook computer, an Inspiron 1000 (looks like a
bargain at $579 after all the rebates, with free shipping). Of course it
comes with WinXP, and of course I want to set it up for dual boot with Linux
(SuSE 9.1 for now, probably).

I have several dual-boot machines, but none of them started out with a
standalone Win system on them. I remember that the installation DVD has a
procedure for this particular case, though. My question is: are there any
gotchas I need to know about? I don't want to find out that I've hosed Win
in the process of setting up Linux, and then be unable to do anything about
it. As an example: is YaST able to cope with the filesystem that typically
comes with a new Win system and shorten the partition without corrupting it?

Paul

< Previous Next >