Re: [SLE] PC Crash: Hard Disk Problems
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:20:06 -0500
On Tuesday 15 March 2005 01:27 am, Konstantinos Georgokitsos wrote:
<snip>
> Can someone help? ReiserFS seems to suggest fsck. I have never used that
> though. Do I have to go to runlevel 3? How do I proceed?
>
> Kostas

Hi Kostas,

I sure hope you have recent backups available. Did you have a power failure recently or some other untimely shutdown? If not, you could be heading for a full drive failure fairly quickly.

Plan on backing that drive up immediately after you've repaired the file system and can access it's contents. You can then afford to exercise and test the drive out.

- boot into >>> rescue mode <<< using the CD or floppies.
- log in as "root" (doesn't ask for a password.)
- mount /dev/hdd2
- the most common procedure:

a) reiserfsck -check /dev/hdd2

then (if warranted)

b) reiserfsck -fix-fixable /dev/hdd2

then (if warranted)

c) reiserfsck -rebuild-tree /dev/hdd2**

** You should BACK UP a partition before using "-rebuild-tree" mode. **

For reference from man:

NAME
reiserfsck - check a Linux Reiserfs file system

SYNOPSIS
reiserfsck [ -afprVy ] [ -check | -fix-fixable |
-rebuild-sb | -rebuild-tree | -clean-attributes ] [ -j
| -journal-device device ] [ -no-journal-available ] [
-z | -adjust-file-size ] [ -S | -scan-whole-partition ]
[ -l | -logfile filename ] [ -n | -nolog ] [ -q |
-quiet ] device

DESCRIPTION
Reiserfsck searches for a Reiserfs filesystem on a device,
replays any necessary transactions, and either checks or
repairs the file system.

device is the special file corresponding to the device or
partition (e.g /dev/hdXX for IDE disk partition or
/dev/sdXX for SCSI disk partition).

OPTIONS
-check
This default action checks file system consistency
and reports but does not repair any corruption that
it finds. This option may be used on a read-only
file system mount. The -check option exits with
status 0 to indicate that no corruption was found.
Otherwise, reiserfsck returns 1 to indicate corrup­
tion that can be fixed with -fix-fixable and 2 to
indicate corruption that requires -rebuild-tree.

-fix-fixable
This option recovers certain kinds of corruption
that do not require rebuilding the entire file sys­
tem tree (-rebuild-tree). Normally you only need
this option if the -check option reports "corrup­
tion that can be fixed with -fix-fixable". This
includes: zeroing invalid data-block pointers, cor­
recting st_size and st_blocks for directories, and
deleting invalid directory entries.

-rebuild-sb
This option recovers the superblock on a Reiserfs
partition. Normally you only need this option if
mount reports "read_super_block: can't find a reis­
erfs file system" and you are sure that a Reiserfs
file system is there.

-rebuild-tree
This option rebuilds the entire file system tree
using leaf nodes found on the device. Normally you
only need this option if the -check option reports
"corruption that can be fixed only during
-rebuild-tree". You are strongly encouraged to
make a backup copy of the whole partition before
attempting the -rebuild-tree option.
<snip>

Good luck!

- Carl

Dover Foxcroft, Maine, USA Public Keys 68396713 & F8207216
----->>>>>http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html <<<<<-----
< Previous Next >