RE: [SLE] Network File Systems
  • From: "Chiu, PCM (Peter)" <P.C.M.Chiu@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:34:47 -0000
Many thanks for all the responses.

a. rsync. we use this tool as well, but experienced some discomfort
with it
in that, if we run a couple of rsync tasks on large transfers in
parallel,
they can grind our servers to a halt without too much difficulty.

Any further access to the same file system involved in the rsync will
certainly
be very slow, and the overall system performance is severely degraded
too.

By the way, we use gigabit switches in general, and the servers are
using reasonably
decent processors like dual opterons 246s and dual xeons 3GHz with
2GB ram and 3ware 8505
controllers.

A slight deficiency with rsync is that we cannot easily access files
as if they were local
for addition or modification as we can do so with NFS.

b. fish. I have not used it before. Can someone tell me where I can
find more details about it.
The on-line man page says fish is a card game, though sounds lovely
it is.

Many thanks.

Peter