Re: [SLE] KDE-3.4
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:15:28 -0500
On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 10:44:12PM -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Bill,
>
> On Thursday 17 March 2005 22:35, William H Lugg wrote:
> > Wow, that helps a lot! But, of course, I have a question or two
> > more. See below...
> >
> > On Thursday 17 March 2005 11:04 pm, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > > Bill,
> > >
> > > They're part of the "supplementary" updates provided by SuSE.
> > >
> > > Here's where to find them:
> > >
> > > ftp://<your-mirror-host>/<your-mirror-host's-SuSE-directory>/i386/s
> > >upplemen tary/KDE/update_for_9.1/yast-source
> >
> > When I go browse an FTP mirror in Konqueror, for example, I see a
> > variety of folders, like i386, i586, x86_64, etc. I realize these
> > are associated with the architecture that the contents is for. The
> > problem is that I start wandering down the x86_64 path (since that's
> > what I'm running) and soon find only a relatively small number of
> > RPMs. Clearly, i386 and i586 have the rest of what I'm looking for,
> > but what is the logic that puts some in one branch of the "tree" and
> > others in another branch? Maybe if I can understand this I won't get
> > lost so often.
>
> On my favorite mirror, the one at Argonne (ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/), I
> found this:
>
> /mounts/suse/x86_64/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.2/yast-source/
>
> There are 228 RPM files there (in ".../yast-source/suse/x86_64/").
> Actually, they're symlinks, but I assume they point to the right actual
> files. I imagine that's the whole shebang.

I noticed this with quite a few servers. The files are links and you click
on it and it downloads the real thing..... Not sure why they do that but oh
well.

I'm giving KDE 3.4 a test drive in a while with the Kubuntu or whatever
distro's live CD. I didn't want to install so I'm just going to try the
live one.