Re: [SLE] someone save my ass prob with root passwd
  • From: Chaitanya Krishna A <icymist82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:31:45 -0800 (PST)
--- Chaitanya Krishna A <icymist82@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i've been experimenting with suse on one of my
> friends
> machines.
>
> at one point i disabled the root passwd by deleting
> the x in the /etc/passwd file. after this i logged
> out
> and tried logging in as root. it was logging me in
> without me for any passwd. now i wanted to put a new
> passwd for root. so i gave the following commands.
>
> $passwd
> prompt for new passwd : <new passwd>
> prompt to retype : <new passwd>
> then it says
> 'passwd changed'
>
> i expected the new passwd to be operational. to
> check
> i again logged out and tried logging in as root. but
> it didn't prompt me for a passwd, but directly
> logged
> me in. i checked the /etc/passwd file, but there was
> no x for the root though i gave a new passwd. am
> missing something in the process of changing the
> passwd.
>
> i situation is very serious coz my friend is really
> freaked that the root is not protected. she already
> had her machine hacked once. obviously there's hella
> lot of pressure on me to get it straight. someone
> help.

thanks for the help guys.

i could fix the problem finally. what i did was .....

as the root didn't have any passwd, i logged in as
root into the kde desktop, used the option in the
system settings to change passwd and gave a new passwd
and then it worked.

but still i don't understand onething. why didn't it
change the passwd from the console. i tried doing the
same thing as i mentioned in the above mail on my
machine which still runs on centos 3.3 from the
console and had no probs disabling the passwd and
again changing to a new one. if someone knows why this
happens please enlighten me.

regards,
chaitanya.