Video mode problem, can't get into Yast
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:09:30 -0500
As I mentioned in my post on a different subject, I'm trying to get SuSE 9.1
going on my new Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop. Now the problem I have is that
when I boot up Linux and get to the point of starting X, the screen fills
with vertical lines. Ctl-Alt-Bksp and even Ctl-Alt-F2 fail to clear it.
Clearly I have a video mode problem, which I am pretty sure I can cure if I
can get into Yast. But that I have not been able to do.

I boot from the installation CD and eventually have five choices: new
installation, update, repair, boot installed system, and boot rescue system.
I don't want to do a new installation -- Linux is already there! And as far
as I can tell, none of the remaining choices give me a way of getting into
Yast. Oddly, I tried "Boot installed system" and once -- just once -- I got
a visible KDE screen that let me into Yast. But I chose the wrong video mode
and was never able to get back there again. Specifically, I chose 1280x1024
resolution for a Dell laptop while I should have chosen 1024x768. By going
into Windows afterward I determined that 1024x768 is the max resolution the
display can handle.

So how can I get into Yast to fix this?

Paul

< Previous Next >