Re: [SLE] Video mode problem, can't get into Yast (Dell laptop)
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:43:48 -0500
On Saturday 19 March 2005 4:13 pm, Carl E. Hartung wrote:

> Did you provide a model number for that laptop already? Sorry, but I
trashed your original post after replying. A manufacturing date and/or S/N
would be helpful, too. I'm sure the specs you need are out there, you just
have to know how to dig them up.

It's an Inspiron 1000, rev. A03, serial #18850470553. I couldn't find a date
of manufacture on the case. I also checked what Windows thought the video
chip was: SiS M650, with resolution 1024x768 (max). Linux says it's an SiS
SIS 650, and has no entry among the SIS chips for M650, so I assume that
SIS650 and M650 are the same. There are a whole lot of chip-specific
parameters that can be set, too; possibly Windows knows how to set them and
Linux doesn't, but I don't know how to get Windows to reveal its settings.

> Also, I wouldn't drive that display too long with the effect you're
describing. It's more likely they're due to an inherent incompatibility
between the display and the signals being sent to it than any kind of
harmonic interference. This is especially true if it doesn't go away when
you change modes.

> I'd attach an external (analog) VGA monitor until we can determine you've
defined the graphics adapter correctly. Fiddling around with the display
settings doesn't do much good if you're not using the right driver and/or
settings for the graphics chip, itself.

I hope this information will help you diagnose what's going on.

Paul