Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 - No X
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:47:07 -0500
On Sunday 20 March 2005 01:40 pm, Colin.Fraser wrote:
> Carl,
> Please see below,my answers to your queries. Thanks for the
interest!

You're welcome, but I'm really late getting out of here, so this has
to be a short reply.

> Not exactly the ''black screen ...th' . In all cases it's a blank
> screen but the cursor shows a a large-sh hollow 'X'.

This is an important clue. If that 'large-ish' hollow 'X' moves
around with your mouse, it's probably not wrong monitor settings but
something else entirely.

I'll quickly cover some of the basics and sorry if you know all of
this stuff already:

Don't invoke SaX2 in run level 5 (when X is running.)

Do one or the other:

a) Boot into run level 3 (hit the number "3" key before selecting SuSE
at the boot menu, or

b) at the 'black' screen with the hollow 'X', do 'Ctl+Alt+F2' (F3 to
F6 also work) to switch to another, text-based, console. Log in as
root and run "init 3" to drop down to run level 3, where X is shut
down but you've still got networking and multi-user support.

Once you're sure X is down, do the "sax2 -l" drill all over again and
try to stick with the defaults since you've said the hardware
detection appears to be accurate. Test the settings, modify them as
needed then save them before exiting SaX2.

When you're back at the command prompt, as root, issue "init 5" which
will launch X using KDM or GDM. You should arrive at a normal
(graphical) greeter/login screen. You then need to verify that
you're logging into your 'normal' desktop, either KDE or GNOME, and
that the environment is loading correctly.

Try this, see what happens and report back. I'll catch up on your
progress by reading the thread late tonight or tomorrow.

regards,

- Carl

Dover Foxcroft, Maine, USA Public Keys 68396713 & F8207216
--->>>>>http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html <<<<<---
< Previous Next >