SUSE future
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:31:15 -0500
I'm hoping someone who works at SUSE / Novell can read this, these are
things I'd like to see in the next release of SUSE Linux.

I use SUSE every day, and I am not afraid to defend it against people who
think it's a wuss distro because it has a GUI tool set / application like
YAST2.... To me it seems YAST2 is the absolute best admin tool ever made
for ANY OS.

I would love to see SUSE have something added into YAST2, like a new
module, for packages. Free BSD and Debian and Slackware all have a tool now
that is coming with the OS on the CDs, that allows you to install packages
from the internet by typing a line in your terminal.

Now I know tools like this for SUSE exist, but I'd like to see something
more. Debian has apt-get, Free BSD has portupdate and pkg_add -r ...OK here
is my idea, I'd like to be able to open YAST, click on a module that has a
search bar, type in, for example, Eterm, and it searches a list of servers
that have Eterm for SUSE Linux, and then gives me the option to download
and install it with all dependencies.

On Free BSD I can type pkgadd -r naim

It will go online, find naim, download it an all dependencies, and install
it, then I type naim on my console, and it loads up. I'd like to be able to
do this on SUSE.

Adding it into YAST2 would be great and keep it simple. Now obviously this
kind of a thing can't be done overnight and would need a lot of testing
and take a while, but it would be nice to be considered at least.

And of course keeping it so it can work in the text mode version of YAST2
so if you don't have X loaded or you're doing admin tasks over SSH you can
still do this.

So SUSE / Novell, please add this into SUSE. I'm sure others would like it
as I am thinking of the ease of use it would add.

Think about it, you open up YAST2, click on a module that pops up and you
type in what application you want, and it looks for it on the internet and
installs it with all dependencies, and then it's ready for use.

You could have the UI set up so that you can type in something if you know
exacly what you want, or even make it so you can browse extra packages
available that wouldn't fit on the DVDs and CDs or something.

Think about when GNOMe and KDE have a new version out, SUSE could make it
easy for veryone to update that. And besides, it would help take away some
of the Gentoo users when they realise SUSE is not only better but has one
command package installs too.

It's something I've always loved about Free BSD. typing pkgadd -r naim and
it dowenloads naim for me and installs it, I love it.

Oh and the Debian users would more likely try SUSE too!

Just think how you could add all these things to servers, and then XXMS
skins, packages, and for people who came from Debian, they can do all their
package tasks from this.

And for people who don't like it for some reason or another you could have
it as a seperate package that isn't selected by the default install, so
people who want it can just select it when they do a custom install and
install it from the DVDs and then use it.

This would be awesome, because I really don't like APT. I like Swaret but
only for updates, apt-get I don't like all that well (The packages are
either old as crap or they dont' have the ones I want, Free BSD's method
however works wonders).

-Allen / Gore.

< Previous Next >