Re: [SLE] SMTP Auth howto for 8.2 Professional.
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:39:19 +0100
Preston Kutzner wrote:

saslauthd is running and the only errors I get are:

Mar 24 11:42:31 ein postfix/smtpd[12865]: warning: SASL authentication
failure: Can only find author/en (no password)
Mar 24 11:42:31 ein postfix/smtpd[12865]: warning:
unknown[192.168.56.17]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed

It might be that suse's postfix does not allow plain authentication. It's got to be encrypted, or over an encrypted connection. I don't remember if it was in 8.2 or later when they did that change.

Well, I will eventually be setting up TLS encryption for the session,
but I'd like to be able to test and make sure SMTP AUTH is working
first, it's more of a pain to debug problems when you have 2 variables,
as opposed to just one. Having to worry about SASL *and* TLS problems
at the same time (possible) is not what I would prefer.

It might be that SASL is trying other mechanisms before PLAIN. Did you try
to uninstall the other mechanisms? In earlier times it was the only way to
make sure they don't interfere with the PLAIN authentication.

pkutzner@ein:~> rpm -qa | grep -i sasl
perl-Authen-SASL-2.08-2
cyrus-sasl-saslauthd-2.1.19-5
cyrus-sasl-crammd5-2.1.19-7
cyrus-sasl-gssapi-2.1.19-7
cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.19-7.2
perl-Authen-SASL-Cyrus-0.11-2
cyrus-sasl-otp-2.1.19-7
cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.19-7
cyrus-sasl-digestmd5-2.1.19-7
cyrus-sasl-2.1.19-7.2

From this list uninstall:
cyrus-sasl-crammd5-2.1.19-7
cyrus-sasl-gssapi-2.1.19-7
cyrus-sasl-otp-2.1.19-7
cyrus-sasl-digestmd5-2.1.19-7

Then restart the relevant services again (saslauthd, cyrus, postfix)

Sandy

PS: Please reply only to the list... I do read it (^-^)