Re: [SLE] Gentoo
  • From: Ben Higginbottom <b.higginbottom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:45:54 +0000 (GMT)
On 24/03/05 04:03 PM, Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Installing gentoo I didn't have the feel of building anything myself,
> emerge takes care of it all. There are a few commands I had to get used
> to, emerge and etc-update mainly. It certainly feels fast with a XP2000+
> and was even snappy on a XP700 with KDE, then again, it's not as heavily
> loaded as my Mandrake or SuSE boxes with much faster processors. On a
> dial-up, I wouldn't even attemmpt it as it took 34 hours to build on the
> XP700 using a cable modem. I did "emerge --update world" yesterday and
> it ran for about 18 hours building everything.
> It's Linux, a different way slightly, that's about all I can say.
> Regards
> Sid.

I have to admit that I found Gentoo to be rather neat, but really go put off by the zealots bragging about all the optimisations and refusing to belive that the only real (user seen) optimisations come from recompiling and tuning the kernel and libc, but I came away feeling "why not use BSD instead".

I have recently though really gotten into virtualisation and emulation, especially with Xen. These technologies might soon mean that our choice of operating system becomes less and less a 'lifestyle' choice for our machine and more of a case whereby we can select what we need and/or feel like with the minimum of fuss.

Regards,

Ben

< Previous Next >