Re: [SLE] SMTP Auth howto for 8.2 Professional.
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:52:03 +0100 (CET)

The Thursday 2005-03-24 at 18:48 -0600, Preston Kutzner wrote:

> > It might be that suse's postfix does not allow plain authentication. It's
> > got to be encrypted, or over an encrypted connection. I don't remember if
> > it was in 8.2 or later when they did that change.
> >
> Well, I will eventually be setting up TLS encryption for the session,
> but I'd like to be able to test and make sure SMTP AUTH is working
> first, it's more of a pain to debug problems when you have 2 variables,
> as opposed to just one. Having to worry about SASL *and* TLS problems
> at the same time (possible) is not what I would prefer.

I can not certify that this is the case, but if it is, you have no option.
At some point, the developers or suse decided that plain passwords were
simply not acceptable, and compiled several packages removing plain
password support. If you insist, you have to recompile.

I'm not sure if that happened since SuSE 8.2 or 9.0.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson