Display problem as root and for network logins.
  • From: Chaitanya Krishna A <icymist82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 05:39:04 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

I have finally made the switch to SuSE 9.1 Pro,

There are some annoying problems.
1. No one who logs into my machine from the network is
able to export the display on to their machines. I am
working in a research group and most of the time we
need to share resources. So when one logs in to my
machine from another computer and tries to run
xmgrace(which is 2D plotting application), or any
other application that needs a GUI, he's getting the
following message with the application not starting
up.

"Can't open display
Failed initializing GUI, exiting"

2. The second one is that, when I as 'root' try to run
any application that needs to run a GUI(the same
application runs if I am a normar user), or that needs
a graphical window to be opened, I am getting the
following message without the application not starting
up.

achala:/usr/local/tmp/firefox-installer #
./firefox-installer
Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key
comparison)

(firefox-installer-bin:16030): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot
open display:

Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

Bye.