Re: [SLE] OT: Email bounce messages
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 02:46:41 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2005-03-25 at 14:03 -0500, Mike McMullin wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 13:46, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx> [03-25-05 13:40]:
> > > It's not the list bouncing them Carlos, it's the address listed by
> > > the OP.
> >
> > If you do not notify the list-owner the bounce is happening, he/she
> > will not know to unsub the guilty party. If the guilty party is
> > unsub-ed, that address will not be bouncing msgs.
> >
> > A little thought *is* necessary.
>
> Got you, finally. Dumping the address from the list will kill the
> bounces. I was thinking of a more at the source (address) of the
> problem solution.

It is like this:
- We send to the list server.
- The list server sends one email to each lister.
- One of the listers is missconfigured or whatever, and bounces back to
the OP.

We can not notify the bouncer in any way, because anything we send him
will bounce.

We could perhaps notify his mail administrator, if the bounce message
gives enough information - but we don't know if he is bonafide.

That mail administrator should perhaps know that they shouldn't so easily
bounce back list mails (there are a "Mailing-List" and a "Precedence:
bulk" headers).

So the only alternative is to inform this mail list administrator, a
human. It is unfortunate that nobody reads them at SuSE on holidays.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson