Re: [SLE] kernel update
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:58:34 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2005-03-26 at 16:03 +0200, it clown wrote:

> The kernel rpms on:
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/9.1/rpm/i586/
>
> are they the latest kernel or the latest on:
> http://www.kernel.org/

SuSE kernels are never the latest, specially for a distro already
"distributed". They only maintain it, adding security patches as needed.
Their policy is to mantain compatibility of all packages during the distro
life (two years), meaning that individual packages do not get upgraded.

On the other hand, SuSE kernels are quite different from the kernel.org
ones. They add many patches, drivers, and corrections.

> What is the recommended way of updating to the latest
> kernel on suse 9.1?

You can try "kernel of the day", from Mantel, but I don't think there are
for 9.1.

If you know how, you can try kernel.org. It is not trivial.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson