Re: [SLE] Puzzle PCI sound-card
  • From: Matt Gibson <gothick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:50:56 +0100
On Monday 28 Mar 2005 17:07 pm, Bahram Alinezhad wrote:
> Can someone find what is this *PCI* sound-card?
> Sound BLASTER AWE64D

The AWE64D is different from the AWE64, which as you say, is ISA. I don't
think many were produced. I have a vague recollection that it came along a
little while after Creative bought out Ensoniq, and was probably one of the
cards that Creative developed based on Ensoniq's technology. The little
note about it on this page would seem to bear that out:

http://www.pcbuyersguide.com/audiobuyersguide/hardware/soundcards/sblive.html

I use what according to that page is one of your card's ancestors, the
Ensoniq Audo PCI128 (well, the PCI64 would have been your card's
predecessor.) Luckily plenty of those were made by both Ensoniq and
Creative, so it's well supported.

Other people have had similar problems, apparently. See:

http://www.ebabble.net/html/awe64d.html

That has a link to Widows drivers, apparently.

For Linux, Given what I know about SB cards of that era, I can't see any
standard kernel driver (OSS or ALSA) that would work with the AWE64D. IMHO,
given the quality, age, unsupportedness and general oddness of the card, and
the price of good soundcards these days, if I were you, I'd probably just
buy something more modern and standard instead.

Matt

--
"It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
and learning how to live amongst them."